Rules for boating in Croatia
The following rules apply to all vessels longer than 2,5 m or engine power above 5KW.
The skipper of a vessel entering the territorial waters of the Republic of Croatia by sea is obliged to take the shortest route to the nearest port open to international traffic, in order to pass border control, and then is obliged to:
1. Verify the list of crew and passengers
2. Pay the required boating fees
3. Pay the tourist tax for vessels of more than 5m with sleeping berths
4. Register any persons that will be sleeping on board
The skipper of a vessel which is brought into Croatia by road, or which is moored in a port or in some other approved location within the Republic of Croatia, is obliged to go to nearest Harbourmaster’s office and:
1. Pay the required boating fees
2. Pay the tourist tax for vessels of more than 5m with sleeping berths
3. Register any persons that will be sleeping on board
*New regulations require all boaters to pay the Tourist Tax regardless of nationality.
The Vignette sticker which was used as proof of payment for boating fees for foreign boaters will no longer be issued.
As of 01.04. 2014, a new unified boating fee will be introduced which will cover all previous fees and include an environmental fee. The fee will be calculated according to vessel length and engine power. The Tourist Tax for private vessels of more than 5m with sleeping berths, will levied as a flat fee, based on vessel length and time duration. All vessels in the territorial waters of Croatia must have evidence to the following:
1. Payment of the required boating fees for the valid time period.
2. Certificate of seaworthiness of the vessel.
3. The skipper must have a valid boating licence for the vessel in accordance with jurisdiction of the registration flag of the vessel, or a license that is valid in the Republic of Croatia
4. An insurance policy with third party liability coverage
5. Proof of ownership, or the owner’s authorisation to use the vessel.
This information is subject to change or interpretation, official boating regulations for the Republic of Croatia is available at Harbourmaster offices or at www.mmpi.hr